If you know of a Southern California bluegrass resource that's not
listed here, or have a correction about what is listed here, please
Send us the news!
This page last updated on 8/3/2011
Goods and Services:
(Bluegrass-related businesses in Southern California)
Music San Diego
- Acoustic Music San Diego, presents regular weekly concerts at
4650 Mansfield Street in San Diego. All concerts start at 7:30,
and prices vary. National and regional touring acts are featured
presenting a variety of acoustic music, including bluegrass. Past
Bluegrass concerts include: Byron Berline, Open Road, and Richard
Greene and the Brothers Barton. For info on upcoming concerts or
to subscribe to the email list: acousticmusicsandiego.com
or call (619) 303-8176.
- Janet Beazley
Janet Beazley is giving bluegrass banjo lessons. Rev up that drive! Clean up your timing, spark up your tone and refine your taste in your mostly-Scruggs-style playing! I live in San Diego now and teach at Old Time Music in North Park (www.sdoldtimemusic.com). I am a very experienced music teacher and teach all levels. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858)353-8668.
- Phil Boroff
- Now teaches bluegrass guitar, ragtime & country blues in San
Diego. Call us at 619-465-6515
- Boulevard Music
- 4316 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City. Music retail store, concert
hall, and music school. 310-398-2583. GMANPROD@aol.com
- Jeff Brent
- Fiddle and Mandolin Teacher in Riverside, California. Range of
styles taught includes: Country, Bluegrass, Cajun and Irish. Learn
how Fiddlers improvise! Visit http://Jeffrey-Brent.com/fiddle.html
- Audio Clips (mp3)!
- email: Lessons@Jeffrey-Brent.com
- 4901 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, CA 92009.
- New and vintage bluegrass instruments, accessories, repairs, CDs
and tapes. Lessons in banjo, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, bass, dulcimer,
hammer dulcimer, classical guitar, voice. Call them at 760-434-4567
or contact them via email at email@example.com
- Bush's Banjo Works
- 1015 E. San Jose Ave., Burbank, CA 91501. Repairs & custom
parts. Please call Don Bush Jr. at 818-842-4643
- Cal Central Lighting & Sound
- 641 S. College Dr., Santa Maria. New & used pro audio equipment
sales with special prices for the bluegrass community. Joe Quealy
805-925-5280 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- California Music Academy specializes in piano, guitar and voice
instruction for children and teens. The teaching methods which we
use, are based on a well-rounded curriculum of music theory, ear
training, sight-reading, technique, rhythm, expression and performance.
Our teachers are all university trained musicians with extensive
teaching and performing experience. Most importantly, they are trained
to customize their teaching methods to each student's learning style,
needs and talents. Please visit our Web Site at www.californiamusicacademy.com
- CMH Records
- P.O. Box 39439, Los Angeles, CA 90039. Write for a free catalog
of bluegrass recordings.
- San Gabriel, CA. On-site and studio recording of soloists and
small ensembles. Contact Dave Richardson at 626-287-3633. email@example.com
- Steve Dame
- Teaches banjo at Scotty's Guitar Shop in Escondido. 760-489-9251
- 7936 Lester Ave., Lemon Grove, CA Free color catalogs! 619-464-8252.
- Dennis Caplinger Productions
- Recording studio. 760-726-9304. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Horsehair Music Company
- P.O. Box 9950, Moreno Valley, CA 92552. CDs, tapes, tab books
on the clawhammer and minstrel banjo. Clawhammer banjo lessons and
workshops. 909-924-9888. DrHorshair@AOL.com
- Avery Ellisman
- Fiddle Instruction
-Licks, Tricks, Tunes
By appointment in Encinitas, CA
- Bob Flesher's Custom Banjos
- P.O. Box 9950, Moreno Valley, CA 92552. Builder of custom open-back,
minstrel and bluegrass banjos. 909-924-9888. FleshrBnjo@AOL.com
Arts Rare Records
- Our shop has been located at 2881 Adams Ave. in San Diego CA 92116
for awhile now. We have live old time pickin' on the front porch
every Wednesday night, starting at 7pm, lots of folks get here at
5pm or so to listen to old 78s and talk about old records. We also
do custom CD's have a new website at http://www.folkartsrarerecords.com
with music for downloading from our library of live concerts going
back to 1962 (also lots of links to old-timey & bluegrass websites
with free listening options). We have over a thousand rare and out
of print BLUEGRASS vinyl LPs in stock! I'm open every day from 9am
to 5pm. The phone is (619)282-7833, hope to see you soon.
- 16760 Stagg St. #210, Van Nuys, CA 91406. Rudi Ekstein 818-787-4843.
- 309 N. Citrus, Covina, CA. Sales, repairs, lessons, concerts.
- Fiddle Teacher. "One of the most influential fiddlers, certainly
one of the giants of modern fiddling (Bluegrass Unlimited)."
You can contact Richard at 323-469-2087 or Fax at 323-467-8120.
You can contact Richard by email at email@example.com
- Guitar Center
- Several stores in the San Fernando Valley and across the state.
They sell a wide selection of bluegrass instruments. The San Fernando
locations can be found at 19510 Nordhoff St., Northridge, Ca. 91324,
phone 818-993-0286 or the Sherman Oaks Store at 14209 Ventura Blvd.,
Sherman Oaks CA 91423 phone 818-990-8332
- Guptill Music
- David Guptill, 3621 W. MacArthur Blvd, Ste 119, Santa Ana, CA
92704. Lessons in banjo & guitar. 714-556-8013. Fax 714-556-8203.
- Don Hickox
- Lessons in acoustic and electric fiddle (all styles) at House
of Strings in San Diego. 619-280-9035
- 3101 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA. Instruments, rentals, lessons,
repairs, books, videos, concerts, free coffee. 310-828-4497
- Peggy Menendez
- Lessons in banjo, guitar, acoustic bass, singing, harmony and
piano. Inland Empire area. 909-864-3905
- Moze Guitars
- 8415 La Mesa Blvd. Suite 1, La Mesa, CA 91941. Factory-authorized
warranty repairs for Martin, Gibson. 619-698-1185
- Weekend guitar lessons for individuals or small groups. 909-678-0831
- Where Singers, Musicians and Artists meet Record Labels, Music
Managers and Scouts. New Music Label is a one-stop solution for
seeking, finding, and managing all types of Music careers. Vist
their Web site at http://www.newmusiclabel.com
- New Wine Sound
- Full featured production studio. Recording, mixing and mastering.
Reasonable! The studio's web page is: www.ericuglum.com
and our phone number is 760-953-9008. You can contact us via email
- Old Time
- 2852 University Avenue, San Diego, CA 92104. Call us at 619-280-9035.
Bluegrass instruments, accessories, Repairs. Lessons in guitar,
mandolin, banjo. Concerts and Events
- Park Hill
- Recording studio/production company specializing in recording
live music, including bluegrass. Hemet, CA. John Goetz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill Purcell
- Lessons in banjo, all levels, in the Riverside/Inland Empire area.
- Andy Rau
- Bluegrasss banjo instruction (beginner through advanced) . Call
Andy at 714-528-9765 or via email at email@example.com
- Red Pelican Music
- They offer banjo, dobro, mandolin, pedal steel, bass and guitar lessons.
10845 Lindbrook Drive, Suite 209, Los Angeles CA 90024
Call them at (310) 893-0776, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salazar's Fabulous Fiddle Shop
- Gene Rubin and Phil Salazar have joined forces to bring Ventura
a new place where you can take violin/fiddle, mandolin and guitar
lessons from the famous Phil Salazar. What's more, can also now
purchase hand selected violins and bows that are far superior to
the "out of the box" violins. Phil and Gene's shop is
located at 921 East Main Street, Ventura CA 93001. For an appointment
you can contact Phil at (805) 701-2508 or Gene at (805) 658-8311
- 348 E. Grand Ave., Escondido, CA. Instruments, books, supplies.
Buy, sell, trade, rent, lessons. 760-489-9251
Tree Stringed Instruments
- 27134-B Paseo Espada, Suite 224, San Juan Capistrano 92675. Instruments,
accessories, lessons, CDs, tapes, books, videos, concerts. 949-364-5270.
- P.O. Box 5853, Pasadena CA 91117-0853. Bluegrass and folk music
record label. See web page for on-line catalog and ordering information.
- Shelah Spiegel
- Fiddle lessons at her home in Fountain Valley (Orange County).
Also available to judge fiddle contests. 714-962-5083. email@example.com
- Leslie Spitz
- Mandolin and guitar lessons at her home in the San Fernando Valley.
- Chris Stuart
- Beginning and intermediate guitar lessons from his home. Basic
guitar and bluegrass rhythm playing emphasized. Address: 13774 Recuerdo
Dr., Del Mar, CA 92014 - Call 858-335-3322 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1940 Gillespie Way, El Cajon, CA 92020. 619-258-6957 voice, 619-258-3799
- Record company. Mike Nadolson 951-678-0831. email@example.com
- Weber Fine Acoustic Instruments
- Bruce Weber leads a team of experienced luthiers with the goal of providing you with the best handmade mandolin family, arch top guitars and resonator guitars in the world. In operation since 1997, a commitment to quality and integrity in fit, finish, playability, and above all-sound, drives our purpose in building. Dream instruments are our goal and you may individualize any of our standard models in a design of your own.
- Kim Weeks
- On location live sound recording services. 619-691-9342. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Merryrose Watson
- Bluegrass banjo instruction (beginner through intermediate), in
the Pasadena area. Email - email@example.com
Organizations and Publications:
(Know of a Southwestern bluegrass-related
music organization not listed here, or have a correction? Send
us an email!
- P.O. Box 8139,
Glendale, AZ 85312-8139
Publishes a monthly newsletter called The ABA Bluegrass Beacon,
edited by Lloyd Anderson (602) 993-6801. Hosts camppouts and
- The Arizona Bluegrass & Old-Time Musicians Association
- 623-842-1102. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bluegrass Association of
- P.O. Box 10885, Canoga Park, CA 91309
Publishes a bimonthly
newsletter, web site, and email list called inTUNE: Southern
California Bluegrass News . Sponsors the monthly BASC Bluegrass
Night, and also hosts concerts. Join BASC!
- A magazine of Bluegrass Publications PO Box 850 Nicholasville,
KY 40340-0850 859-333-6465 www.bluegrassmusicprofiles.com
- P.O. Box 9, Wilseyville, CA 95257. Publishes a monthly newspaper
called Bluegrass Breakdown, edited by Suzanne Denison (209)
293-1559 or email@example.com.
Sponsors an annual festival at Grass Valley, CA, as well as campouts
and jam sessions in Northern California.
Folk Music Society
- Mail Code 102-58, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena,
CA 911250. Publishes a bimonthly newsletter. Hosts concerts in Winnett
Student Center and in Dabney Hall on a monthly basis.
Traditional Music Society (CTMS)
- The California Traditional Music Society (CTMS) is dedicated to
the preservation and dissemination of traditional Folk Music, dance
and related folk arts of America's diverse cultural heritage by
broadening public involvement with Folk Music. Through its year-round
activities, CTMS furthers its primary objectives of Public Education
To increase public understanding of the value and variety of Folk
Music and dance, to increase what is written about Folk Music in
order to document its cultural and historical significance, preserve
traditional methods, and highlight emerging trends. CTMS acts as
a clearinghouse of information to provide a bridge between folk
artists and organizations and the general public. The organization
supports musicianship by supporting master folk artists through
performance and teaching opportunities. CTMS encourages broad "hands
on" involvement among the general public in playing traditional
Folk Music instruments, folk dancing, folk singing, and learning
and telling folk stories. Additionally, it supports professional
development to strengthen the effectiveness of Folk Music and dance
organizations through training, technical assistance consultation,
and conferences. CTMS acts as an advocate for the role of Folk Music
and dance in the art world, and assists the media, educators, and
private and governmental providers in understanding the functions
and achievements of Folk Music and dance. Please visit CTMS at their
Web Site, http://www.ctmsfolkmusic.org/
Thirty House Concerts
- DARK-THIRTY PRODUCTIONS - Lakeside, CA. Folk and Acoustic House
- Desert Bluegrass Association
- Publishes a bimonthly newsletter and hosts a monthly jam in the
Tucson, Arizona area. 520-296-1231
- Promoting Folk/Traditional Music, Dance and related folk arts
for the greater Los Angeles community. Become a member or find out
more at www.FolkWorks.org
- National Bluegrass Website with events, band listings, etc.
Bluegrass Music Association
- Working together for the success of Bluegrass Music worldwide.
IBMA: Promoting high standards of professionalism, a greater appreciation
for bluegrass music, and the success of the worldwide bluegrass
- International Bluegrass
- The International Bluegrass Music Museum is located in Owensboro,
KY. Contact Mike Lawing, Assistant Director, International Bluegrass
Music Museum 207 East 2nd Street, Owensboro, KY 42303 (270) 926-7891
- KSON Info-line
- San Diego-area bluegrass events. 619-543-1401. Call Wayne
Rice at 619-561-9309 (fax: 619-561-4456) to get listed or email
Wayne at bluegrass@WayneRice.com
- The Music
- New California-based website devoted to Americana Music -- bluegrass,
blues, folk, and alt-country -- with instruments, accessories, CDs,
festival and artist info, and more.
County Bluegrass & Folk Club
- Publishes two bimonthly newsletters. Sponsors a variety of bluegrass
events in North San Diego County, including a monthly Bluegrass
Band Night in Escondido, plus concerts and annual campouts. Please
cvisit their Web Site at www.northcountybluegrass.org
- Northern California
- Formerly the Santa Cruz Bluegrass Society. Publishes a monthly
newsletter called Bluegrass By the Bay. Hosts concerts and
jams primarily in the Bay Area.
- Northern Indiana Bluegrass
- Jim Winger - President 5034 Wapiti Court Fort Wayne, IN 46804-4946.
You can reach them at 260-432-4485 or their Web site http://www.BluegrassUSA.net
- Check the Folk section for information on upcoming bluegrass events
in Orange and southern L.A county.
- Oregon Bluegrass Association
- PO Box 1115, Portland, Oregon, 97207 (503) 507-1947
- San Diego Bluegrass Society
- P.O. Box 15292 , San Diego, CA 92175. With BASC (Bluegrass Association
of Southern California), publishes a bimonthly newsletter inTUNE:
Southern California Bluegrass News , this inTUNE website, and
an email distribution. For information, call: 858-679-4854 or email:
Dwight Worden - President.
Sponsors monthly Bluegrass nites at Shirley's Kitchen in La Mesa
and hosts concerts in the San Diego area. Join
the SDBS today!
- San Diego
- 1112 Judy Lane, Cardiff, CA 92007 (619) 566-4040 - Publishes a
bimonthly newsletter called Folk Notes. Hosts folk concerts,
contradances, and festivals. Presents concerts by local and touring
artists at a number of venues around San Diego county, presenting
a wide range of types of music within the "folk" umbrella.
A few days before each concert, the SDFH sends out a brief description
of the event. If you would like to receive these messages, or if
you would like to get their paper newsletter, send a message to
- The San
- The San Diego Troubadour, a free monthly newspaper covering Alternative
country, Americana, roots, folk, blues, gospel, jazz and bluegrass
music news. The Troubadour is distributed free throughout San Diego
County at the beginning of each month. Each issue features The
Bluegrass Corner column dedicated to bluegrass news, and bluegrass
is covered in other articles as well. The Troubadour has produced
the program for the first three years of the Summergrass Bluegrass
Festival in Vista and has been a sponsor of that festival since
its inception. For info, to see online issues, and for advertising
rates visit: sandiegotroubadour.com
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southern Nevada Bluegrass Society
- P.O. Box 3704, North Las Vegas, NV 89030. Hotline 702-594-6422.
Publishes a newsletter called Bluegrass News, edited by Richard
Juillerat (702) 457-3535 or 457-2051. Hosts campouts, jams and concerts,
sponsors a radio program on KUNV 91.5 FM. Produces an annual festival
at Logandale, NV.
- Southwest Bluegrass
- P.O. Box 3046, Covina, CA 91722. Publishes a bimonthly newsletter
The Bluegrass Soundboard. Serves the Southern California,
Arizona, Nevada and the Southwest region. Web site features streaming
audio and performance schedules for member bands, event listings
for Western U.S. and Canada, and much more. SWBA has produced weekly
house jams, weekend campouts & jams, school education programs,
and promotes and sponsors concerts and works with promoters of bluegrass/folk
music festivals. email@example.com
On The Radio:
(Bluegrass on the SoCal airwaves; all times
are Pacific Time.)
- KCSN 88.5
FM, Northridge (updated August 2011).
- 818-885-KCSN (voicemail).
- Sundays 6 to 10 AM. Bluegrass
Etc. with Frank Hoppe
- Sundays 10 AM to 1 PM. Americana Matinee with Kat Griffin
- Sundays 1 to 4 PM. Tangled
Roots with Pat Baker
- Listen to KCSN live over the internet: www.kcsn.org/listen.html.
- KPFK 90.7
FM, Los Angeles, 98.7 FM Santa Barbara County (updated:
- 818-985-5735, fax 818-883-7557.
- Saturdays 6 to 8 AM. Alive
and Picking Mary Katherine Aldin
- Sundays from 6 to 8 PM. Folkscene
with Roz Larmen
- Listen to KPFK live over the internet: www.kpfk.org/listen-live.html.
- Pod casts of the above programs are available for two weeks after
their initial broadcast at: archive.kpfk.org/parchive/
97.3 FM, San Diego and 92.1 in Escondido
- Listen to live
KSON broadcasts on the web! 619-291-9797.
- Sundays 10pm to midnight. Bluegrass
Special with Wayne Rice bluegrass@WayneRice.com
- KCSB 91.9 FM, Santa Barbara.
- Wednesday 3:30 to 5 PM. Festival Americana with Joe Aleks
& Erica Hurwitz firstname.lastname@example.org
- KCBX 90.1 FM
- San Luis Obispo, 89.9 Santa Barbara, 90.9 Santa Ynez valley/Avila
Beach/Cambria, 91.1 Cayucos. 1-800-549-8855 or 805-544-5229.
- Thursdays 8 to 10 PM. Basically Bluegrass with Ron Saul
& Peter Morin, email@example.com
89.5 FM, San Diego
- Saturdays 7 to 9 PM. American Routes (occasional bluegrass)
- KSPC 88.7 FM, Claremont.
- Sundays 11AM to 1PM. Bluegrass with Flakey Jake 714-621-8157.
88.5 FM, Mission Viejo.
- 714-582-KSBR (5727). Sundays 6 to 8 PM Folkroots with Marshall
- Prairie Home Companion
(updated: Sept 2009)
- With Garrison Keillor (bluegrass artists often appear).
- KCBX 90.1 FM,
San Luis Obispo: Sat. at 3 PM;
- KPBS 89.5 FM,
San Diego: Sat. at 5 PM, Sun. at 11 AM;
- KCLU 88.3 FM,
Ventura Co.: Sat. at 5 PM, Sundays at 11 AM;
- KPCC 89.3 FM,
Los Angeles: Sat. at 3 & 6 PM, Sun. at Noon;
91.9 FM, Riverside-San Bernardino: Sat. at 3 PM, Sundays at 10 AM;
90.3 FM, Palm Springs: Sat. at 3 PM, Sundays at 10 AM;
(Check your local listings for channel numbers; all times are Pacific
(Country Music Television)
- Major bluegrass stars like Alison Krauss & Union Station,
Ricky Skaggs or the Nashville Bluegrass Band show up every once
in a while on this cable channel.
- PBS (Public Broadcasting
- Several area public television stations include bluegrass-related
KPBS, San Diego
(The Nashville Network)
- Bluegrass artists sometimes appear on:
- Opry Backstage, 5 & 8 pm Saturdays
- Grand Ole Opry Live, 5:30 8:30 pm Saturdays
- WSM (radio channel)
- You can pick up this legendary station on satellite TV C-4 (F4),
transponder 24 (also carries CMT video feed). Audio subcarriers
(left & right channel) are 7.38 and 7.58. Several good bluegrass
shows including Eddie Stubbs' program and Orange Possum