BASC Member Bands & Performers
If you're a BASC member band, you can be listed here. Click HERE to send or update your band's information. Updated on
January 14, 2015
- The Brombies
- Original & traditional bluegrass & gospel. Members: George
Doering, Jo Ellen Doering, Bill Bryson & Patrick Sauber. Please
visit the band at their Web Site www.thebrombies.com.
Contact: Jo Ellen Doering, (323) 874-0213.
- Burning Heart
- “Heart’s burning, still yearning...”
We are Burning Heart, a new bluegrass band in the traditional style that attempts to capture that special feeling expressed in the words of the old Stanley Brothers song quoted above. A heart that burns, a heart that still yearns, is a heart that lives a life of passion and powerful feelings, whether they are of pain or pleasure, sorrow or joy, love or loneliness.
While we are a traditional bluegrass band, we are not out simply to re-create the sound and style of the original bluegrass masters. Yet we steer clear of the gimmicks, upgrades and additives that characterize much of what passes as bluegrass music today. We simply believe that tradition-based bluegrass music is one of the the most direct and pure ways of expressing the passions and powerful feelings the come from a heart still burning, still yearning...
Burning Heart is made up of Keith Chagnon on banjo and vocals, Dan Sankey on mandolin, fiddle and vocals, Ron Vance on bass, and Jeff Fleck on guitar and vocals.
Contact: Jeff Fleck, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grasslands is a Southern California premier bluegrass band made up of 5 multi-talented veterans of music. They are the best of friends and it shows the minute they step onto the stage enjoying not only entertaining the audience, but enjoying playing the music with each other.
Members in the group have toured throughout the United States and overseas, played at amusement parks, played on folk radio programs, worked as musical accompaniment for theater, television commercials, bluegrass festivals and various other activities. Some of the venues Grasslands has played at include the Huck Finn Jubilee and Parkfield festivals, McCabe's Guitar Shop, the featured band for the Los Angeles and San Diego bluegrass clubs, and KSON Radio.
Grasslands has an eclectic repertoire that covers a wide variety of music and takes inspiration not only from traditional Bluegrass, but from Swing, Country, Western, and Rock-N-Roll classics, all performed in a bluegrass fashion. This always brings their performance level style of entertainment to a diverse and enthusiastic audience!
The members of Grasslands are: Shelah Spiegel plays fiddle, has toured, worked on stage plays and is a music educator; Jim Cooper, plays guitar and is well-known in the Los Angeles music scene; Tim O'Brien, plays resonator slide guitar (Dobro) and has played and recorded locally; Kevin Gore, plays banjo and has toured and recorded; and Fred Wade, plays bass, and has toured and recorded. They represent the best of the Orange, Los Angeles and Kern Counties' bluegrass musicians. This combination of instrumentation allows Grasslands to fit their style of music for any occasion, from large productions, to intimate acoustic back-yard parties. Grasslands also features lead vocalists who blend their voices in varying harmony structures to complement one another throughout their list of material.
Grasslands is a fun and professional bluegrass band who entertain audiences large and small, at bluegrass festivals, theme parks, corporate events, weddings, private parties or just about any event. They are proud members of the SouthWest Bluegrass Association (SWBA) and the Bluegrass Association of Southern California (BASC).
Contact: Shelah Speigel, (714) 962-5082, email@example.com
- The members of Hazel Mountain have southern California connections which go back to the early 1970s where the band's leader, Walden Dahl (lead vocals, guitar, fiddle), was playing music with the original Lost Highway and band members Stuart Duncan and Alison Brown. You could also find him performing around town with the High Window Boys and Grey Eagle. Jeff Harvey (mandolin, harmony vocals) also grew up playing with Duncan and Brown and, later, became a founding member of the rebirth of Lost Highway in the mid 90s. John Plotnik (banjo, dobro, harmony vocals) has played with groups like Foxfire and Liberty, and currently works for Disney's California Adventure. Dean Knight (bass, lead and harmony vocals) has also played with Liberty, as well as Sheri Lee and Chris Stuart and Backcountry.
The sounds of Hazel Mountain have been influenced not just by the great bluegrass music tradition, but also by the old country standards and western swing, the cowboy songs and folk ballads, the island scene a nd the rock scene, playing songs from Steven Foster to Bill Monroe, from Bob Dylan to the Beatles, Gene Autry to John Denver. If you enjoy variety and have an open musical mind, you'll appreciate Hazel Mountain.
- Based in the San Gabriel Valley, Keeping Fire is a band that plays acoustic music ranging from bluegrass to new folk and cowboy tunes. Of special interest are tunes the band has written dealing with the gold mines of the eastern San Gabriel Mountains. Keeping Fire consists of five veteran musicians all of whom have been actively involved in the Southern California music scene since the 1960s, incl uding performances and tours with a wide variety of top-of-the-line performers. The members of the band are: Donn Cunningham on guitar, Fred Heilbrun on banjo, Jarrett Lesko on resonator guitar, Steve Wilke on mandolin, and Scott Olsen on acoustic bass. Keeping Fire has performed at bluegrass festivals, concerts, theaters, corporate functions, and private parties. They would love to bring their tight harmonies and driving instrumentals to your event.
Contact: Fred Heibrun, (818)708-2479, contact-keeping-fire
- Lonesome Otis is an established bluegrass band based in Southern
California. LO is a combination of new and experienced talent and
with its ability to provide clean instrumentals and harmonies, is
guaranteed to satisfy e ven the most critical of bluegrass music
Contact: (951) 897-2362, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Murphy Family Band
- The Murphy Family Band plays an exciting mix of traditional and original bluegrass music. Their repertoire includes many of the bluegrass classics by artists such as Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs and The Stanley Brothers in addition to their own compositions. They placed first in the band contest at the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle contest in 2010 and have performed at coffee houses, pizza parlors and many other venues around Southern California. The Murphy Family Band consists of Sara Murphy on the fiddle, Kyle Murphy on the mandolin and fiddle, Jim Murphy on the guitar, Doug Davis on the bass, Paula Lane on the dobro, and Bill Knopf on the banjo.
Contact: Jim Murphy, (310)559-3095, email@example.com
- Murphy's Flaw
- Murphy's Flaw is a group of above-average (musically), below-average (taste) musicians who got together under terms of their parole. They play together to serve out their community service sentence, imposed because of crimes against bluegrass.
Band: Peter Blackwelder, John Bryan, Paul Dorn, Dee Farnsworth, Mike Gurzi, Uli Sinn, Matt Witler, Vicki Hill
Contact: John Bryan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rocky Neck Bluegrass Band
- Rocky Neck Bluegrass Band is a Southern California based group featuring Devitt Feeley, Lydia Veilleux, and Craig Ferguson who got their start in the bluegrass music field by winning first place in the 2009 Topanga Banjo and Fiddle "Band Contest. Their first recording, "Rocky Neck Bluegrass Band" released in November of 2010, was recorded in a 1920's cabin in the mountain community of Big Bear, CA, and was mastered by legendary bluegrass engineer Billy Wolf in Arlington, VA. The album has been receiving regular airplay on radio stations across the country.
- Jerry Ross
- Salty Suites
- Salty Suites..... Scott Gates, Chuck Hailes and Chelsea Williams,
They live in the world of live acoustic music, sharing a passion for roots and bluegrass, as well as traditional mountain music. Scott Gates is as close to a musical prodigy on the mandolin as you will ever meet and now plays guitar with the same fire and brilliance. Scott has been a mainstay at festivals for many years and holds a special place in his heart for people he sees year after year. Having performed all over the country and with artists as varied as John McEuen, Nathan McEuen, Steve Martin, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Kenny Loggins and a virtual Who's-Who of bluegrass players, Scott has started writing music of his own and will be bringing many of these tunes to you this year. Scott appeared last year on the Ellen Show with Steve Martin, recorded with Kenny Loggins on his soon-to-be-released family album, which was picked up by Disney, appeared in an episode of the 2011 season of "Justified" on the FX Channel and toured the US with band mate Nathan McEuen. Partner in this new venture, Chuck Hailes, is one of the top bass players in the country, schooled in classical and jazz bass playing and techniques. Chuck writes his own music and has teamed with Scott to create many new musical gems. With his background in bluegrass music, and degree in the Upright Bass, Chuck sings and plays in a way that is uniquely his own. Chelsea Williams has been writing and performing her own music since she was 13 years old. After a couple of years in two different working bands, Chelsea took the stage on her own by the age of 17, performing at clubs and coffee shops. While some of her early songs are still hits with her fans, she has continued to develop as a writer penning nearly 100 original songs to date. Chelsea currently makes her living by playing on the street for tips and selling a home-made demo, having sold thousands of CDs in recent months, one-by-one, simply on her own on the street. Her magnetic presence draws them in and her songs set the hook.
Contact: Andrew Gates, (760) 559-7106, email@example.com
- Mike Stein and Jerusalem Stone
- Cantor Mike Stein is a world renowned performer, composer and recording artist. A Grammy Award winner (cELLAbration) and nominee (Dreamosaurus), his songs have been recorded by the late Patsy Monatana and have been in movies such as "The Little Traitor." He has recorded fiddle for artists such as Mary Chapin Carpenter and Tom Paxton. His songs have been published by Warner Chappell (We Are With You) and have played on thousands of radio stations world wide. Today he is the cantor at Temple Aliyah in Woodland Hills, California. He is the father of three sons who are accomplished musicians on their own. Together with his wife, Kelley, they perform nationally with their group, the Rolling Steins.
- Contact: Mike Stein, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Third place Band Winner at the 2012 Topanga Banjo-Fiddle Contest
Sugar in the Gourd
- The four women who call themselves Sugar In the Gourd have diverse backgrounds. Individually, they've played rock, blues, bluegrass, old-time, folk, country and swing music, and they've written many of their own songs over the years. As a band, they've combined their songwriting talents and the result is a richly diverse blend that give this band a unique sound. You'll hear guitar, mandolin, fiddle, bass, banjo and beautiful vocal trios as they jump from one musical genre to another. Whether they're singing an old Bessie Smith blues, an original swing tune or an old-time Appalachian a cappella ballad, it's all Americana... new and old at the same time, and irresistible.
Merrily Weeber .. vocals and guitar
Lisa Salloux..vocals, mandolin, guitar and bass
Aubrey Richmond...vocals and fiddle
Lynn Shipley Sokolow--..bass and banjo
Contact: Lynn Sokolow, 310-429-6139, email@example.com
- David Volk and Friends
- David Volk is a respectable singer and good guitar player. He sound like a mashup of Clarence White, Tony Rice and Jerry Garcia. He will put together a coalition of the willing pickers for a gig. December 2012 BASC showcase video clip can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09HW5QFM72E or search David Volk Bluegrass.
Contact: Davidvolk@verizon.net 310.454.1173 We don't ask for much but we will take more.
- Western State of Mind
- "Born and raised in the L.A. area" doesn't usually sound like the opening line of a bio for a cowboy singer. But that's exactly where John got his start. Go figure.
John performs traditional and original music from and about the Old West, accompanying himself on guitar with the aid of his trusty sidekick Scotty V. on guitar and mandolin. You can almost smell the campfire as he spins his rough-hewn ballads about life, heroes and bad guys in the west. For the last several years, John has been a regular at the Autry National Center and western events around Southern California.
Contact: John Bergstrom, 661-296-6835, WSOMmusic@AOL.com